SAFE WADING TIPS
Home / My Account / Safe Wading Tips
WADE WITH CAUTION. WADE
Always keep these two rules in mind when wading in any body of water. There are obvious and not so obvious dangers inherent with wading. Following these tips will help you experience a safe and enjoyable trip
- Use a wading staff to feel the bottom before stepping.
- Never wade alone.
- Always wear waders that fit properly.
- Wear a wading belt to create a seal between your body and the wader.
- In rivers and streams, identify potential dangers down current such as waterfalls, log jams or undertows before entering the water.
- Walk slowly, smoothly and carefully.
- Wear a personal floatation device.
- Be aware of tides, currents and water level changes.
- If you fall, don’t panic. Don’t fight the current, work with it. Allow the current to drift you downstream as you work your body towards the bank.
- Never continue wading if your waders are full of water.
- Always match for wading shoe soles with the terrain for best traction.